Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Organize Your Thoughts Before Giving and Receiving Gifts

Kim Wolinski, MSW
"Dr. DeClutter" www. DrDeClutter.com

I think it's important that when we give and receive gifts that we organize our thoughts and emotions before they are opened, before our mouths engage, blurting out something rude, unfeeling, negating or embarrassing.

GIFT GIVING
It's important too that when you're giving a gift not to negate your giving. Don't put yourself or your gift down. Give with an open heart and with love, for yourself and the receiver.

Seven Things You Shouldn't Say About a Christmas Gift You've Given

7. I just know this belongs in your house! Here, I'll show you where.
6. It was on sale!
5. Not very many people like these, but I thought you would.
4. I had three of these, I thought you might like one.
3. Oh, I just picked it up at the last minute.
2. I made it, but it's not that great.
1. You're probably not going to like it.

GIFT RECEIVING
Everyone's done it, or thought it, at least once when receiving a gift. Here are some gems to delete from your holiday gift receiving vocabulary.

Seven Things You Probably Shouldn't Say About a Christmas Gift You Don't Like

7. Hey! There's a gift!
6. Oh, look at this. I've heard about this on the news.
5. This is perfect for wearing around the basement.
4. Oh, you didn't have to! Really, you didn't have to.
3. I love it -- I'll put it away so it doesn't get ruined.
2. Oh!? I've seen these before but didn't know what they were! What are they?
1. This is great. I know somebody who'd really like this!

Assume... that all gifts are given with care, love, friendship or just plain old kindness, so accept them with kindness, surprise and joy. If they were given for any other reason, accept them with kindness, surprise and joy anyway. Period.

TIP: If you don't want gifts, let all your friends and family know months ahead of time, or tell them exactly what you like (Think "perishable gifts" like food, restaurant gifts certificates, movie or theatre tickets, concerts tickets, etc.) or give them the address of your favorite charity and let them donate the money they would have spent on your gift to charity. Bottom-line, make gift-giving easy and kind.

Happy Holidays to you brimming with love, kindness and joy!

Kim

(C)2006 Kim Wolinski
Stress, Change & Organizational Skills Expert. Speaker, Professional Organizer and author of Keep the Holidays Simple, Your Guide to Coping with Holiday and Everyday Stress, and other products. Order at http://www.redecisionsinstitute.com/kims_store.html